25 Aug 7th Annual U.S. Sand Sculpting Challenge – August 31 – September 3!
One of the top 20 “Must See” seaside festivals / events in the world according to American Express and USA Today’s 10 Best, the U.S. Sand Sculpting Challenge and Dimensional Art Exposition will return to San Diego’s downtown waterfront for 2018. This will be the seventh year that one of the world’s most important sand-sculpting competitions will be held on this built-for-the-occasion beach, with over 300 tons of sand dumped on the pier on San Diego’s Big Bay. The 7th annual edition will be open to the public Aug 31 – Sept. 3. The event is held on beautiful Broadway Pier and Landing on Labor Day weekend. NEW this year – They are staying open later so the sculptures will be lit up at night!
- It takes two full weeks from start-up to tear-down
- Over 300 tons of sand are brought onto Broadway Pier in downtown San Diego
- The public has just four days to see the sculptures, from August 31 – September 3.
- It will feature 12 professional international Master Sculptors competing solo plus 3 teams of 4 in theI.B. Challenge competition
- The Dimensional Art Exposition – over 1,000 one-of-a-kind original works of art (metal, wood, glass, jewelry, hand-made clothing, wall-art, acrylic, fabric, gemstones, etc.) on display and for sale
- Family Fun – An expanded Kid Zone with rides and sandcastle building lessons taught by professional artists
- More than a dozen gourmet food trucks and a beer/wine garden
- Live entertainment all weekend long
- Sculptures will “light the night” and will be decoratively lit from top of bottom inside the Port Pavilion.
- Electronically vote for your favorite sculpture
- Expanded Arts for Learning/ San Diego Kid Zone with rides such as European Bungie, Bubble Fun and FREE arts & crafts.
- VIP ticket holders will receive unlimited access to the event all weekend long, special accommodations, free beverages and more.